This week, read a Bible verse and pray for unity in the church
First Miami welcomes you to pray this week for unity and oneness in the church, which is the body of Christ. When we can embrace our differences, we can make a more joyful noise, a greater impact for the kingdom, and contribute more fully as our best selves. The work of Christian unity affirms that it is not our similarities, but our differences that make us vital in God’s economy!
This content has been adapted from the PCUSA website. >>
WEEK OF PRAYER FOR CHRISTIAN UNITY
Day One—Changed by the servant Christ
- Verse: The Son of Man came to serve (cf. Mk 10:45)
- Prayer: Almighty and eternal God, by traveling the royal road of service your Son leads us from the arrogance of our disobedience to humility of heart. Unite us to one another by your Holy Spirit, so that through service to our sisters and brothers, Your true countenance may be revealed; You, who live and reign forever and ever. Amen.
Day Two—Changed through patient waiting for the Lord
- Verse: Let it be so now, for it is proper to fulfill all righteousness (Mt 3:15)
- Prayer: Prayer Faithful God, you are true to your word in every age. May we, like Jesus, have patience and trust in your steadfast love. Enlighten us by your Holy Spirit that we may not obstruct the fullness of your justice by our own hasty judgements, but rather discern your wisdom and love in all things. You who live and reign forever and ever. Amen
Day Three—Changed by the Suffering Servant
- Verse: Christ suffered for us (cf. 1 Pt 2:21)
- Prayer: God of consolation, you have transformed the shame of the cross into a sign of victory. Grant that we may be united around the Cross of your Son to worship Him for the mercy offered through his suffering. May the Holy Spirit open our eyes and our hearts, so that we may help those who suffer to experience your closeness. You who live and reign forever and ever. Amen.
Day Four—Changed by the Lord’s victory over evil
- Verse: Overcome evil with good (Rom 12:21)
- Prayer: Prayer Lord Jesus Christ, we thank You for Your victory over evil and division. We praise You for Your sacrifice and Your resurrection that conquer death. Help us in our everyday struggle against all adversity. May the Holy Spirit give us strength and wisdom so that, following You, we may overcome evil with good, and division with reconciliation. Amen.
Day Five—Changed by the peace of the Risen Lord
- Verse: Jesus stood among them and said: Peace be with you! (Jn 20:19)
- Prayer: Loving and merciful God, teach us the joy of sharing in Your peace. Fill us with Your Holy Spirit so that we may tear down the walls of hostility separating us. May the risen Christ, who is our peace, help us to overcome all division and unite us as members of His household. We ask this in the name of Jesus Christ, to whom with You and the Holy Spirit be all honour and glory, world without end. Amen
Day Six—Changed by God’s Steadfast Love
- Verse: This is the victory, our faith (cf. 1 Jn 5:4)
- Prayer: Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the living God, by Your Resurrection You have triumphed over death, and have become the Lord of life. Out of love for us You have chosen us to be Your friends. May the Holy Spirit unite us to You and to one other in the bonds of friendship, that we may faithfully serve You in this world as witnesses to Your steadfast love; for You live and reign with the Father and the Holy Spirit, one God for ever and ever. Amen.
Day Seven—Changed by the Good Shepherd
- Verse: Feed my sheep (Jn 21:19)
- Prayer: Father of all, you call us to be one flock in Your Son, Jesus Christ. He is our Good Shepherd who invites us to lie down in green pastures, leads us beside still waters, and restores our souls. In following him, may we so care for others that all see in us the love of the one true Shepherd, Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit, one God forever and ever. Amen.
Day Eight—United in the Reign of Christ
- Verse: To the one who conquers I will give a place with me on my throne (Rev 3:21)
- Prayer: Almighty God, Ruler of All, teach us to contemplate the mystery of Your glory. Grant that we may accept Your gifts with humility and respect each person’s dignity. May Your Holy Spirit strengthen us for the spiritual battles which lie ahead, so that united in Christ we may reign with Him in glory. Grant this through Him who humbled Himself and was exalted, who lives with You and the Holy Spirit, forever and ever. Amen.
Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7
The Care Ministry at First Miami Presbyterian Church is led through the First Miami Diaconate to provide love and support to our church family and community. This incredible team of prayer warriors are eager and happy to pray for you. Submit a prayer request or praise below.